Fact: Everybody is not a “writer”.
Fact: Majority thinks writing is a walk in the park, unless they try putting pen on the paper.
And writing is not the only thing; people hold similar misconceptions when it comes to the core requisites for blogging. Many people march in the field of blogging (yes, field of blogging) only to figure out after some time that it is not as easy as they’ve assumed. Surely, there’s a reason why so many people start blogging but only a few of them succeed.
And the reason lies in the fact that blogging is much more than writing down your thoughts and publishing. There is far more to blogging than just that. If you are looking to start blogging with an aim to make it big, you should take a look at the following list of skills that one needs to have for making it big.
1. Patience: One of the most essential ingredients and this is one thing that will be required at every tiny and humungous step alike. For example, the initial burst of ideas will be trickling down to a drop in next to no time, and then the true test of patience (AKA staying power) will come about. From regularly writing to researching for updated information, from watching your traffic building slowly to witnessing your SERP going up and down, you will need quite some patience, during the course of time.
2. Research skills: Nobody knows everything, so in order to be accurate and comprehensive in your writings, you will need to have excellent research skills. When you are researching on internet, you need to double check all the time, because some information is obsolete while some information is plain wrong, and because not everything that you see on the internet is authentic; you should be able to filter out the right from the wrong. To be able to do so, you need to have a good understanding of whatever topic you are writing on.
3. Consistency: You think writing is easy, try telling that to a professional writer who is doing it full time, and watch out for a sarcastic smile that you will get as an answer. The fact is that writing as a full time job is just as hard as any other duty (unless you are extremely gifted). If you are looking to be a successful blogger you need to write consistently even if there’s nobody to read, consistency and resilience will help during this phase.
4. English Comprehension: We are assuming that you will be writing in English for global audiences, since you will have quite limited audience if you are blogging in any other language but English, also remember that search engines cannot comprehend any other language. So, you need to have good command over English language, both technically and grammatically.
5. Marketing know-how: Content might be the king but in this time and age, even kings need to market themselves to the masses. So, no matter how good is the content, you will need at least some form of marketing to promote your Blog, especially, when you are looking to monetize your blog in near future.
6. Responsibility: As we’ve already mentioned, internet is full of unreliable, twisted and downrightly wrong information. You don’t want to join ranks with the shoddy ones, right? Being a blogger, you’ve got to assume some responsibility, about the accuracy, precision, ethics, and the like.